Our 15th Anniversary
Looking back over the last fifteen years it’s the people, the stories, and their lives that have impacted me. From the first customer who walked through our doors on April 1, 2002, to the ones that were in yesterday, it has always been about more than just selling books. I have been blessed to have family and friends who encouraged me in the beginning, many of whom are still pitching in to help today. Without employees who have felt like family and have shared many of life’s defining moments, the store would not be where it is today. For all of these gifts, sacrifices, and successes, I am thankful.
When I reflect on what God has graciously allowed, first at our small location and now at the beautiful store we have today, I am thankful.
I felt at home from the first day I stepped into the store. Despite changes in location, employees and customers, for me the bookstore has always served as a place to come and be a part of a larger picture; a place to hear your stories and the individual and special ways you share them. Fifteen years have gone by and not a day passes that I don’t give thanks for the opportunity to share in your lives through such a simple means as a common love of books.
As I reflect back over the past fifteen years these are a few of my favorite memories:
- a customer, who after sharing about her fight with ovarian cancer, came in weekly to pray and cry together.
- leaving my 9 am Saturday regulars alone in the store for ten minutes while I went and picked Grandma up from the beauty shop and dropped her at home.
- friends volunteering to work at the store while I was hospitalized and explaining the details of the credit system and the cash register, all via the phone.
- just after we opened and stacks of books were piled high to the ceiling, friends offering to come in and alphabetize entire sections of the store.
- customers bringing me donuts on Saturday mornings, knowing I had forgotten to eat breakfast in my rush to open the store.
- a gentleman who started reading westerns ten at a time, beginning with the letter A and not resting until he got to Z.
- a customer stopping me in the grocery store, complaining that my daughter had given him a book recommendation, but had not told him it was part of a lengthy series - he had been unable to read any other books for the past three months.
- the gentlemen who always tips us, saying he wants small business to succeed.
- the gentlemen who comes in every week with biscuits for the bookstore dogs.
- the little girl who crawls under the table to read to Winston, our golden retriever, while he naps in the peace and quiet of the bookstore.
- a customer who brings all the employees chocolate every time he comes to the bookstore.
- the thoughtful customers who showed up to help us move locations, knowing we would need extra hands moving all the books.
- the customers that find books in the wrong place and reshelve them where they belong (Thank You!)
- watching the various ways our customers keep track of the books they have read, want to read or were told to read.
- the children that want to know if they can borrow the books or do they get to buy and keep them.
- my neighbors in the mall, who work to support each other and bring a smile to my face with a cup of tea, a donut or word of encouragement.
- Despite a slowing economy and larger bookstores going out of business, following God’s direction and moving to a much larger space with no guarantee that the store would survive such a dramatic move.
Despite all our differences, we share the love of books. Books that move us, that inspire us, ones that make us laugh out loud or cry secret tears. Books that teach us to cook, to raise our children or open our eyes to strange and new worlds. Whatever genre you read, author you love, or series you follow, you understand the powerful ways a book can grab you and change you. Thank you for bringing us in and allowing us to join in the fabric of your lives.
Record Store Day - April 22nd
April marks the 10th anniversary of us doing this used vinyl record thing (how is that even possible?) Some of you may even remember us from our Platterpus days. It’s been a long, crazy trip, that’s for sure.
We’ve made some great friends along the way. All because of music. We certainly don’t do this for the money. We do it because we love music, we love records and we love connecting people to the music that they love or that they don’t know they love yet.
To celebrate, we are having a month-long sale at our Villa Park location, inside Cornerstone Used Books (22 S. Villa Ave). Stop in from April 1st thru April 30th and all records with round color price stickers will be 50% off! Yep, 50%. And all records with white price labels will be 10% off. FOR THE WHOLE MONTH.
We’ve been adding lots of new stuff the last few weeks, so if you haven’t been out in awhile you better get on over there. Come on out and load up on some vinyl!
And don’t forget to mark April 22nd on your calendar, that is Record Store Day. We will also be celebrating that in Villa Park. We will be open from 9AM-5PM that day. We’re doing our best to get as many exclusive releases as possible. As usual, first come, first served. No reserving of items. We have to make it fair for everyone.
Thanks a bunch for letting us do what we do. We greatly appreciate it.
Pete & Chris
Cheap Kiss Records
April is Autism Awareness Month
Did you know that 1 child in every 68 children born in America will be diagnosed with Autism?
During April we will be collecting “Change for Autism” in conjunction with The Autism Society of Illinois’ campaign in our Illinois schools. Drop your change in the collection box and help provide Autistic children with the education they need to become happy, productive members of our society.
We will match the funds we raise during the month, and these funds will be donated to The Autism Society of Illinois (www.autism-society.org).
Check out our Website, www.cornerstoneusedbooks.com, for events and specials that were scheduled after this newsletter went to press.
Great Deals for our Facebook Fans and Twitter Followers - We post promotions only on Facebook and Twitter that can be used at checkout when you purchase a book from our online inventory. We also offer sneak peeks of upcoming sales, FREE books and other promotions ONLY available to our Facebook fans and Twitter followers!
In-Store Coupon - Remember to check out the monthly coupon on our website for a special April discount.