||This year we are committed to playing a more instrumental role in the community by providing assistance to many different local charitable organizations. Each month, we will feature an organization, and for the entire month we will collect a variety of products that the featured organization needs in order to sere the families, individuals and children in the area.
In 2016, we will be focusing on SCARCE, (School & Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education), an organization that is dedicated to teaching the people in our communities to preserve & care for the Earth's natural resources. SCARCE has many ongoing programs that we are asking you, our customers, to participate in by bringing in items that can be reused for our schools and our students.
We will be collecting many of the items on this list, if you have any questions regaqrding what we will accept, please feel to email us at email@example.com or call us at 630-832-10210 with your questions. If you have larger items that you would like to donate, you may contact SCARCE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please place your donations in the box provided in our foyer. Let us know you made a donation and you will receive a coupon for a free used book.
SCARCE is committed to keeping "stuff" out of the landfill - getting it re-used if possible, otherwise recycled. Every day, SCARCE has ongoing collections. The Book Rescue collects any books, Tools for Schools (click for list) collects office & schools supplies, Super Crayons, and ongoing collections at SCARCE keep the items out of the landfill AND are reuse projects - getting the items into the hands of those that can use these precious resources. SCARCE also has ongoing recycling collections for the following items:
- Books (bring any books, we recycle those that are in bad shape)
- Holiday Lights, along with other cords and connectors
- Scrap Metal (small items - we just have a barrel to collect)
- Cell Phones
- Ink Jet Cartridges
- school and office supplies
- keys - household, luggage, car
- canning equipment
- Eye Glasses
- Bowling Balls
- American Flags
- Crayons - new, used, broken
- Altoid Mint Boxes
- Craft/Art Supplies
- LP Records
WHAT TO DONATE
Most supplies used for running an office are also needed by schools. Items do not need to be new, but they do need to be in good, working used condition. Imprinted material in good condition is accepted (letterhead, pens, stationary, etc.) The list includes, but is not limited to:
Paper (all kinds)
Folders (all kinds)
Binders (3 ring)
Drop off your unwanted items to us in Glen Ellyn. Tools for Schools is open the same time as BookRescue - check the hours - (typically Monday through Friday, 9am to 4:30pm, Tue evening and some Saturdays during school year) Make sure all school supplies are clean, working, and new or gently used.
If you have have large items, please don't bring them without contacting us first. Our space is limited, but we may be able to advertise your items via email find someone that can pick up the items directly from you.
Guidelines for Donations
* Spiral Notebooks: good wires – no ripped off covers – recycle used pages
* Markers, pens: make sure they still write
* Binders: no broken covers or broken rings
* Glue: Try to combine partially used bottles.
* Crayons: Its great if you can sort the good ones from the broken ones, which go to our Super Crayons program.
We collect the following to keep them out of the landfill and to pass them along for proper reuse/recycling:
- Cell Phones - a small fundraiser for SCARCE
- Scrap Metal
- Printer Cartridges - ink jet, laser, toner
- Crayons - whole or broken crayons - to reuse or recycle in our Super Crayons project
- Holiday Lights
- American Flags - passed along to be given a proper retirement
- Clothing Buttons - more info
- Safety Pins - also give for various projects in Uganda, Ethiopia and more
- Eyeglasses - given to the Lions Club for repair and reuse
- Keys - house keys, car keys, skeleton keys - given to the Lions Club for recycling
- LP Records - passed along to It's Our Earth in Wheaton
- License Plates - passed along to It's Our Earth in Wheaton
- Floppy Discs - 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 inch
- Men's Neck Ties
Looking to recycle even more? We do NOT collect these items at SCARCE, but they can be recycled. Terracycle is a company that gives not-for-profit organizations money for recycling. A short list of what Terracycle collects includes:
- juice pouches
- pop tabs
- candy wrappers
- chip bags
- yogurt containers
- tape dispensers
- toothpaste tubes
- and lots more